Saturday, October 18, 2008

It's Official



I'm officially a published author!! I received a copy of our new issue of the Wasatch Journal yesterday, and what lovely surprise did I find on page 114? My article! Well, it obviously wasn't an actual surprise, but what a great feeling to see my name in print. I've been a part of the entire process for this issue--writing one of the articles, proofing the whole issue. It's great to have a physical representation of the work I've been doing for the past few months. With a lot of jobs, you do all the work and never have anything tangible to show for it, so it's really rewarding to open a box of freshly printed magazines that are polished, finished versions of the work you've been toiling and debating over for months.


Around 2 years ago, I decided I wanted to go back to school. I still wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to major in, which was the reason I had taken a break in the first place. When it came down to deciding on a major, though, I just thought, " What would I enjoy? What job can I actually picture myself doing?" I didn't decide on a specific job, but I knew I could possibly see myself writing or editing. In fact, as I was getting closer to starting school again, I wrote a journal entry about liking the idea of writing for a magazine, but really having no idea how to even begin going about it. I came across this entry a few weeks ago, and what an incredible feeling to see myself accomplishing the lofty goals I had envisioned a couple years earlier.


I don't know what job (if any) I'll end up with after graduation, and I have a few hurdles to overcome before I'm officially done with school (classes, homework, finals). But at least for today, I can open my magazine, re-read my article for the millionth time, and feel at least an inkling of confidence that I'm on the right track.

7 comments:

Steve said...

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your article. That is so awesome. It is great to see you settling into your career, and starting to make a name for yourself. Just go ahead and mail my copy up here so I can brag about you ;-) Congrats again and now just finish the last few brutal months. By the way you should see some papers from me that need proofing soon! I hope you are excited. With great talents come great numbers of people wanting freebies. Cheers!

Larson Family said...

That is so great!! CONGRATS!! All your hard work is paying off!!

The Dahls said...

Yay Agnes McFrankam! I'm so very proud! Congrats, too! You should absolutely feel good about accomplishing a goal. I'm glad you're excited too. We need to do lunch again,soon, and catch up.

Vyedka said...

Yay! Congrats Angie! That is super fun! I am excited to read it! That is so cool to see your name on the top of that article!

Unknown said...

Ang,

Congratulations! That is so amazing! I can't imagine ever being able to see my name in an a magazine. Mostly because I cant write! I am very happy for you. Hope to see you soon!

McCall said...

That is so awesome! You're so smart!

Fashion According to Alicia ! said...

I'm so proud of you I hope everyone Knows how great it really is to be published.